"I Want to Be Free" is the 83rd episode of How to Get Away with Murder.
After taking the stand during Nate Senior’s murder trial, Bonnie’s world is turned upside down when a mysterious accident leads her to a hard realization. Meanwhile, the students compete for a large cash bonus during the final exam where they must come up with the best defense for a conspiracy-to-murder charge.
Notes and Trivia
- The wrongful death suit for Nathaniel Lahey, Sr. goes to trial where Bonnie is thrown off the case as the lead attorney immediately for being a conflict of interest. Tegan steps up in her place.
- Frank threatens Paula Gladden to admit the truth on the stand - that Xavier Castillo was the one who told her to murder Nathaniel, not Ronald Miller - or she and her family would suffer the consequences. Gladden later breaks down on the stand under Tegan's relentless cross examination, telling the court that she helped kill an innocent man. Gladden apologizes to Nate and the court, and she tells the judge that she will accept any punishment that she is entitled to. This is arguably empty statement, as Gladden had been awarded full immunity for her testimony.
- Before a verdict is announced, the state offers Nate $10 million in exchange for him dropping the case and signing statements that exonerate Governor Birkhead. Hellbent on justice for his father, Nate orders Tegan to continue to fight for criminal charges, rejecting the monetary settlement outright. Tegan warns Nate that his involment in his father's murder or the death of Ron Miller ("hypothetically", she adds sarcastically) could result in his own imprisonment. Unafraid, Nate rejects Tegan's advice, telling her that only the arrests of Birkhead and Xavier Castillo would be acceptable.
- Bonnie's breaks are tampered with which results in her crashing her car.
- The woman paid by Xavier to scare Annalise was spying on her and Bonnie's conversation before the crash.
- In the hospital, Bonnie watches the news unfold that it was, in fact, Xavier, not Ron who ordered the hit on Nathaniel.
- Its the students' final exam and Annalise gives them a case study.
- The Flash-Forward reveals that Annalise is getting ready to leave and, using the alias of "Justine", she's talking to an app on her phone that helps her delete everything on her memory drive and departs where a car is waiting for her.
- Originally scared off the case by Frank Delfino (who planted a USB drive in her car with photos of her ex-wife), Tegan takes over the case when Bonnie Winterbottom is removed for conflict of interest. Tegan later reveals history to Annalise Keating about how her dealings with Jorge Castillo resulted in her being under the businessman's thumb for over a decade. She declares that she wants to be free of the Castillos (as well as Governor Birkhead), adding that Annalise, of all people, should understand. "So screw him, screw the Governor. I want to be free."
- "I Want to Be Free." - Tegan Price