Caleb Hapstall was a supporting character on How to Get Away with Murder. He is one of the two main antagonists of Season 2, as he is actually responsible for the murders of his family members.
Caleb is the adoptive son of Grant and Ursula Hapstall and the adoptive brother of Catherine Hapstall. He and his sister were accused of murdering their adoptive parents, and, later their adoptive aunt, Helena Hapstall. On the night of Helena's death, Catherine and Caleb were taken in for questioning. While Caleb's alibi was weak, Catherine strengthened it by lying that he was home all night, when really he was out for a run. Calebs DNA was found at the crime scene after a second test and it was later found out that his DNA had been planted.
It's time to Move On is the first episode where Caleb and Catherine Hapstall are shown as potential clients for Annalise Keating. She sabotages their lawyer in order to gain them as clients. That night, Helena Hapstall was found dead in her car, with a slit throat. On the night of Helena's death, Catherine and Caleb were taken in for questioning. While Caleb's alibi was weak, Catherine strengthened it by lying that he was home all night, when really he was on a run. Calebs DNA was found on the crime scene but was thrown out from the investigation due to the allegations of it being transferred into the crime scene. Annalise then presents the transferring evidence to the court, leading to them being cleared of the murder. Caleb was then faced with incest rumors with his sister, Catherine Hapstall. In order to uncover the truth to the incestuous rumours, Michaela decides to use the excuse 'prepping them for a trial' to do so. Caleb refused to claim or give away any information. Later on, Catherine says that they kissed, but that Catherine was a virgin, so incest was highly unlikely. She passes a test which confirms this.
The Deceased Hapstalls.
Annalise's defense is set back when Helena Hapstall's testimoney is allowed in the trial. But then, a video of Helena Hapstall voicing racist and hateful comments about Caleb and Catherine. Caleb was quite upset about the Keating 5's discovery.
Later on, in S2 EP15, Anna Mae, it was found that Caleb was at the exact same location when Helena was killed, which was found on his fitness tracker. At this point, Catherine is in custody for the murders. It was found that Caleb had planted Phillip Jessup' DNA at the crime scene, and he planted the gun in Catherine's studio. Catherine retracted her statement, saying that it was her who killed them. Caleb was then made a prime suspect in the case. It was then found that Caleb was responsible for Grant, Ursula and Helena Hapstall's murder, as he tortured and murdered his adoptive parents, and slit the throat of Helena Hapstall.
He committed suicide by slitting his wrists inside of a bath tub as the truth of his killing spree was spread to the world.
- Grant and Ursula Hapstall: Tortured and later killed his parents. In a last hope to get away with their murder, he tried to frame his sister by planting the gun in her studio at their mansion. He also tried to frame Philip Jessup, his adoptive brother, for their murder.("It's Time to Move On", "Anna Mae")
- Helena Hapstall: Slit her throat in her car whilst on a run after she gave information to the police that implicated Caleb and his sister, Catherine Hapstall in the death of their adoptive parents, Grant and Ursula Hapstall. ("It's Time to Move On")
- On July 22, 2015, it was announced that Kendrick Sampson would join the cast in the second season and would be introduced in the season premiere. Although his character wasn’t officially revealed until the premiere, around a week earlier, it was announced that the series would be casting a family consisting of Caleb, Catherine and Helena Hapstall.
- The writers weren't 100% sure that Caleb would be the murderer of his parents because Nowalk feared it would be "too obvious". "That is something we went back and forth with a million times and it just felt like the best answer as we came up to it."
|"It's Time to Move On"||"She's Dying"||"It's Called the Octopus"||"Skanks Get Shanked"||"Meet Bonnie"|
|"Two Birds, One Millstone"||"I Want You to Die"||"Hi, I'm Philip"||"What Did We Do?"||"What Happened to You, Annalise?"|
|"She Hates Us"||"It's a Trap"||"Something Bad Happened"||"There's My Baby"||"Anna Mae"|
- ↑ "Two Birds, One Millstone"
- ↑ "Kendrick Sampson Joins 'How To Get Away With Murder'" by Denise Petski, Deadline (July 22, 2015)
- ↑ "Spoiler Chat: Scoop on Vampire Diaries, Walking Dead, Empire, Arrow and More!" by Kristin Dos Santos, E! Online (July 14, 2015)
- ↑ https://www.buzzfeed.com/genamourbarrett/things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-htgawm?utm_term=.icJ6zYRZy#.sq03B2nPA